Thursday, February 24, 2011

EOC Week 6: Illicit

This is an interesting topic for me because there are times when I believe the media puts out more than it knows about and the government allows it too, just to try to intimidate the population into doing the right thing.  I have minimal experience with the illicit trade in our world, but the subject reminds me of a story one of my instructors at United Airlines told our class. She explains there is this lady in the market in Rio De Janeiro, who is walking through the market with her baby in a stroller. She turns to the side to inspect a product and when she turns back her baby is gone. She begins screaming for help and all the locals try to convince her to go to the airport right away. Finally the police arrive and drive the woman to the airport. There they have arrested the kidnapper but the baby has been killed and hollowed out for smuggling drugs onto the plane.  Up until we discussed this in class I took, I took it as a possibility, however I researched the story and found it has been a popular urban myth since the early 70’s. I’m glad to hear no babies have been found this way, but I’ve been disappointed that I believed someone’s lie for so long, about something so important.  

No comments:

Post a Comment